Friday, July 11, 2008

1957 Edmund Reim Resignation

After the Synod's rejection of the 1957 Floor Committee No. 2 (Church Union), Professor and President of Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary Edmund Reim was compelled to discontinue his fellowship with the WELS. He said, "I take this step, not in anger, but in deepest sorrow, and because I am constrained by the Word of God." Here is his letter of resignation.


The Ev. Lutheran Joint Synod of Wisconsin and Other States

Dear Brethren:

Two years ago I made the following statement to the 1955 Convention of our Synod, in regardto its action in matters of union at that time:
“The decision of the Synod to continue its fellowship with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod pending a vote to follow the convention of that body in 1956 (even while recognizing that there is full reason for a separation now) compels me to declare that I can continue in fellowship with my Synod only under clear and public protest.  I hope and pray that the eventual decision concerning our relations with the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod will be such as to remove the occasion for this protest.”
Last night's action of this current (1957) convention in rejecting the report and resolutions of its Floor Committee not only does it not remove the occasion for this protest, but increases and confirms it.  I have tried to make this protest clear and strong to this convention.  Since it has been disregarded nevertheless, I find myself compelled to discontinue my fellowship with the Synod.  I hope and pray that the Synod may yet return to its former ways and to full obedience to the Word of God, specifically Rom. 16:17,18.

I trust that you will realize that I take this step, not in anger, but in deepest sorrow, and because I am constrained by the Word of God.

Respectfully

E. Reim

(1957 Wisconsin Synod Proceedings, p. 144-145)